Coming in with the guest mix hat trick, this week we’re featuring one of the new and rising stars in the scene – AP3X. AP3x has been a name on the local scene in New Zealand, but really broke out internationally with his recent single on Ridiculoud ‘Power Struggle’ – I rinsed it and the Retroid remix a lot, so thought I should get him on the show to see what else he has coming up and to get an idea of what he’s got in the box. Needless to say he’s thrown down a wickedly chunky mix featuring some of his new stuff and a host of new tunes from the deep tech funk end of breakbeat.
I also have the one and only fellow NSB DJ The Scritch staying at Chez Llupa, so expect some b2b shizzle for the first hour
AP3X is a name that has become synonymous with dark, driving, energetic music in the Auckland dance scene.
From playing parties at the local soccer club in rural South Auckland on an old pc and Tractor V1.0, aged 16, to supporting international acts like Freestylers (UK), Scratch Perverts (UK), Rennie Pilgrim (UK), Baobinga & I.D (UK), NAPT (UK), Vent (UK), one thing that hasn’t changed is a true love for electronic music.
Arriving on the Auckland club scene in 2002 with the conception of “Revolt”, co-promoted with the infamous Andy Bukshot, he started off playing progressive house and techno. The eventual discovery of breaks around 2003 set the course for the future.
After gigs all around the North Island, guest dj mixes on NZ national music TV channel ‘Juice’ as well as the two major Auckland Dance radio stations, co-hosting the ‘Audio Damage’ show on UPFM and holding things down for one of NZ’s longest running breaks nights “Infectious” with co-promoters and dj’s $ure$hot and Joe Revell, the natural progression was to move onto production.
With a couple of minor releases already under his belt, AP3X shifted focus from the club to the studio. The result is his first release with U.S label Ridiculoud Records, “Power Struggle” with a remix from breaks heavyweight Retroid. Now with the controls firmly set to making tough, driving, prog tipped breaks, watch this space…
Catch AP3X alongside Andy Bukshot weekly on the ‘Audio Damage’ show on UPFM 107.5 local or stream at http://www.upfm.dj
Damn, that was a solid guest mix – big props to AP3X for laying down the goodness – he is a name you’re going to be hearing more from real soon. Big shout to the Scritch too for the back 2 back shenanigans, always nice to mix it up live on the show.
Llupa b2b Scritch
01. Cage Page Vs Toy Quantise – Remember The Feature (Fisso & Spark Remix) [DSUK]
02. A-Mase – Emotions & Dreams (Digital Department Remix) [DSUK]
03. Pitch Black – Bird Soul (FunknSloCuts Remix)
04. Stanton Warriors – Who Are The Warriors (Bass Kleph Remix)
05. Taishan – Capoeria Ting
06. Taishan – Dub Hypnosis
07. Zarbizarre – Kinesthetic
08. Kid Panel – My Funny [Breaks.sk]
09. Plump DJ’s – Pray For You ft. Gary Newman (Lee Coombs Remix)
10. Meat Katie – Bizarre Is Beautiful (MartOpetEr Remix) [CDR]
11. Hedflux – Integrator [AUX]
12. Bo Scott – Bo Knows Disco (Monk3ylogic Remix) [Kick It Recordings]
13. Mike Hulme – 100mg (The Loops Of Fury Remix)
Guest mix – AP3X
01. Neurodriver – The Depths
02. Elite Force – No Turning Back (Hedflux Remix)
03. Hardnoise – Body Works
04. Kosheen DJ’s – Konflict (AP3X Edit)
05. Weekend Hero’s – Tribal Dose
06. Far Too Loud – Rock That Beat
07. Meat Katie – Bizarre is Beautiful VS. Refracture – Let Go (AP3X Edit)
08. Headflux vs. Neurodriver – Energy Vibration
09. AP3X vs. Home Alone – Connect
10. Headflux – Basscake (Plastic Shell Remix)
11. Pop Art – Lola